Black Rice, Roasted Beetroot and Kale Salad
Black Rice, Roasted Beet and Kale Salad
- 500g beetroots cut into wedges
- ⅔ cup uncooked black rice
- 1 ⅓ cup water
- ½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 2 cups finely shredded packed raw kale
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed flaxseed oil OR extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or more to taste
- Ground pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
Drizzle beetroots with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and bake, turning occasionally for about 40 minutes or until tender.
Place in a large mixing bowl to cool.
Add rice and 1 1/3 cups water to a saucepan, bring to the boil, reduce to simmering, then cover and cook for 40-45 minutes. Soaking will reduce the cooking time.
When the rice is tender, loosen with a fork and mix with the beetroots, adding the kale and pecans.
Add all dressing ingredients to a jar and shake to combine.
Dress the salad and toss gently to combine, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours (overnight would be great).
Taste and adjust seasoning before serving if necessary.